This recipe for vegan french toast is seriously amazing! It is an easy, no fuss recipe that is fancy enough for guests and good for Baby too.
- 8 slices Gluten Free Muesli bread (I like the one from Canelle Boulangerie)
- 1.5 cup Cashew Milk (or almond milk)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds – ground
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Banana – blended or mashed
- Coconut Oil for frying up!
- Ontario Peaches – they are in season in late July & August! (Berries are good too)
- There are two ways to make the vegan french toast batter: The quickest way is to blend the batter ingredients (milk, chia, cinnamon and banana) in blender making a smoothie of sorts. The second way is to mash the banana with a fork and then mix the milk, chia and cinnamon. The latter is kinda nice because you get these caramelized chunks of banana in the mix when you fry them;
- Let ‘batter’ sit for a bit for the chia to become gelatinous;
- Heat a frying pan on medium and let 1/2 tsp of coconut butter melt and begin to sizzle before adding the french toast;
- Dip both sides of the bread into the batter quickly otherwise it will become soggy and fall apart;
- Cook the french toast until both sides are golden brown;
- Serve with Chopped Ontario Peaches in the summer or berries, tahini & a little maple syrup – Note the bananas make them sweet already.
Where did the inspiration for this vegan french toast recipe come from?
From almost-stale bread and my 11-month-old son Koji, who loves pancakes and pancake-like things. I make pancakes for Koji often. In fact, I am somewhat of a pancake queen. It’s my thing. For Koji, I often mash a banana into his pancake batter for a bit of sweetness. (Speaking from experience, maple syrup is both too sweet and too sticky to serve a baby.)
I decided to try the banana in this recipe as a way to liven up this vegan french toast batter and turned a regular Wednesday morning meal into a nice brunch. I also served this recipe for a bunch of guests at a lake house over the weekend and everyone loved them.
Let me know if you give this vegan french toast recipe a try!