I am not into fussy food/meal prep and I don’t like spending lots of time in the kitchen, but being pregnant, I especially need nutrient dense food. I love this Kamut Blueberry Scone recipe*! It is easy and amazing! The scones are very impressive, delicious and could be great for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.
- Kamut flour (or gluten-free all purpose) – 3 cups
- Oats- 1/2 cup (use minute or quick cook oats)
- Baking powder – 2 tbsp (heaping)
- Maple sugar or other dry sweetner – 2 tbsp
- Sea salt – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil 1/2 cup – cold (in solide form)
- Lemon zest from the whole fruit
- Blueberries 1 1/2 cups – frozen ok
- Organic eggs – 1 for batter, 1 for glaze*
- Almond milk or other milk of choice ~ 1 1/4 cup
Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C and grease baking sheet with coconut oil.
Sift kamut flour into a large bowl and add oats, baking powder, maple sugar and salt. Next, mix (cold) coconut oil into flour mixture with your fingers until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Then add in lemon zest & blueberries (even if they are still frozen).
In a measuring cup, beat one egg and add enough milk to reach about 1 1/4 cup (300ml). Then, make a hole in middle of the flour mixture and pour in the milk/egg. Use a fork to slowly stir flour and milk together. Finish mixing by with your hands, creating a dough – add milk or flour as needed to achieve the right consistency.
On a clean & lightly floured surface, pat the dough into an oval shape that’s about 1.5″ or 3 cm tall. Now use a small glass to cut out rounds, and place them on greased baking sheet.
Once scones ready to be baked, glaze the top of each round with beaten egg or egg white and sprinkle a little dry sweetener on top.
Bake scones for about 15 to 20 mins or until lightly golden – test with a fork.
#NourishtheMama and everyone in the family by serving these beauties warm with jam, almond butter and/ or ghee.
* I adapted this recipe from one found on foodloveswriting.com.
**I am pretty sure you can make a vegan version with egg replacer.
- Recipes for Vegetarian Ratatouille, Sheperd’s Pie, Apple Crisp & Carrot cake
- Recipe: Gluten-free Vegan Pancakes
- Recipe: Best ever Vegan Banana Muffins
- Recipe: Dhal & Pitta Spice blend