Like so many people, my son Koji and I both recovering from Covid and I wanted to share what’s been helping.
Our positive tests came in on Dec 23rd, a day after my in-laws from Panama flew to meet our six-month-old baby Mika for the first time and have Christmas with us (also for the first time). We both felt terrible for about 24 hours with body ache, fever, chills, headache, sore throat and Koji had some pretty intense stomach cramps too. Not fun. But it passed surprisingly fast and thankfully, everyone else seems ok.
(I am vaccinated*. Koji, who is five-years-old, is not.)
With thousands of confirmed cases daily, we are not the only ones directly affected. As such, I wanted to share what we are doing to recover and rebuild.
What helped us in recovering from Covid
First, it’s important to note that what I am sharing here is not medical advice. Although I am an naturopathic doctor, I am not an expert on this virus nor am I proclaiming to know how to treat it. Plus, there are countless strains of thee virus and people seem to react differently. These suggestions are based solely on my personal experience and knowledge on how to rebuild energy, strength and the immunity system after any illness. Please consult your doctor to be sure my suggestions are safe for you. For the latest information on Covid in Canada, click here.
Hydration is key when we are sick. Drink plenty of water at room temperature and herbals teas to help support elimination. Herbals teas to consider:
Making a tea of 1 clove garlic, honey and lemon with a crack of black pepper tends to help relieve chills and body ache, which is what I experienced the most.
I don’t recommend eating heavy foods when you aren’t feeling well. It’s important to listen to your body. If you don’t feel like eating, don’t. Homemade soups and bone broths are the best things for us when we are recovering from Covid or from any illness. Bone broths are particularly beneficial because they are rich in minerals and collagen and are easy to digest. In the video above, I explain how to make an easy bone broth.
- Vitamin C – 10,000 mg is a therapeutic dose. Get a time-release Vitamin C with bioflavonoids. Life this, you can take two doses of 5000 mg per day with ease. Amala is another recommendation. It is a very potent vitamin C which is low in acidity. (For kids, 4000 to 6000 mg is enough)
- Vitamin D – 35 iu per pound of body weight. Do this calculation to figure out how much to take. Get a whole food sourced Vit D in liquid form for the best absorption.
- Trace minerals – 10-15 drops in water three times a day (I like the brand Aussie Trace Minerals)
- Belladonna 30 ch for fever (200 ch is also good for adults) – take 2 granules every 15 minutes until fever goes away. (I also took a half dose of ibuprofen to suppress the fever for a few hours help me sleep.
- Triphala is a blend of three fruits that help thee body eliminate. Take 1 capsule three times per day after meals or 2 capsules at night before bed with a good amount of water.
This is a hot topic and it took me a while to be at peace with my choice. I meditated, did specific pranayama exercises and followed a homeopathic protocol before and after my shots, which minimized any side affects and helped me feel more at ease. If you want support with this as well as a meditation to help your body harmonize, book a mini ayurvedic consultation with me.
Reset the System
Recovering from Covid or any other illness requires time, patience and rest. Rest is paramount. Use the quarantine to simplify, nap and be still. Breathe. Many of my friends and clients who have had Covid reported feelings of breathlessness. I experienced heaviness in my chest. The antidote to these (mild) symptoms is to slow down and focus on deep breathing however possible. Three-part-breathing is especially helpful as it also relieves stress: As slowly as possible, inhale into your belly, ribcage and chest; exhale from chest, ribcage then belly.
When you are feeling up to it, get outside for some fresh air at least once a day.
For a total reset, consider joining me for a 30 Day Healthy Living Program and/or contacting me for an ayurvedic consultation to address your specific goals and needs.