The Vegan French Toast Recipe is seriously AMAZING! Plus, it takes no time to make and they are good for Baby too and good warmed up in the toaster the next day.
Vegan French Toast –
- 8 slices of GlutenFree Muesli bread (I like the one from Canelle Boulangerie)
- 1.5 cups CashewMilk (or almond milk)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds – ground
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Bananas – blended or mashed
- CoconutOil for frying up!
- Ontario Peaches – they are in season end of July & August! (Berries are good too)
- Maple Syrup (because of the banana, you need very little)
- You can make these two ways: Either you can put all the batter ingredients (milk, chia, cinnamon and banana) into the blender and make like a smoothie or you can mix together milk, chia and cinnamon and then mash in the banana. The latter gives you nice little fried banana chunks, but the first is a little quicker.
- Let ‘batter’ sit for a bit for the chia to become somewhat gelatinous.
- Heat the frying pan on medium and melt in about 1/3-1/2 tsp of coconut in the pan;
- Dip both sides of the bread in quickly otherwise it will get soggy and fall apart;
- Fry the french toast until lightly brown on both sides;
- Serve with sliced fruit (I vote for peaches in the summer) or berries, tahini and a splash of maple syrup.
Where did the inspiration for this vegan french toast recipe come from?
On a Wednesday morning, the inspiration for this vegan french toast came from almost-stale bread and my 11-month-old son Koji, who loves pancakes and pancake-like things. Often I will mash in a banana into his pancakes, as giving him maple syrup is both too sweet and too messy. I decided to try adding banana into the batter to liven up this vegan french toast and it turned into a delicious and seemingly fancy, mid-week brunch!
Let me know if you try it. 🙂